Do you want to manage your chronic pain and get your life back on track? Are you fed up with being held hostage by persistent pain and want to take action now? This book by chronic pain expert Dr Nicola Sherlock will show you how.
Chronic pain is a huge problem. It is estimated that between one third and one half of the adult population in the UK live with pain. In turn, many people struggle to manage their pain; they report that it affects nearly every aspect of their lives, and that they feel held captive by it.
Furthermore, the emotional impact of pain has been increasingly recognised, and it is recommended that treatments for chronic pain no longer rely on medication alone. However, it is difficult to find relatable, easy-to-understand information on the non-medical aspects of pain management.
Master Your Chronic Pain adopts a holistic view of pain. Each chapter looks at a different aspect of pain management, from the benefits of mindfulness meditation to overcoming a fear of exercise to strategies for improving sleep. The emotional impact of pain is discussed, and practical tips for managing stress, worry, and low mood are given. Strategies for managing thoughts and emotions are explored, and the impact of pain on relationships is examined. This book uses principles from Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) which has been established as a highly effective therapeutic approach in the management of chronic pain.
Through Master Your Chronic Pain, you will be able to take control of your condition. The interventions and techniques detailed have consistently helped to improve outcomes and reduce people’s reliance on medication. The techniques help people to live fuller, more enjoyable lives once more.
Through this practical book, learn to:
- Understand the nature of chronic pain to manage it better.
- Appraise the life values and motivations that underpin your journey away from pain’s control.
- Boost your energy levels and zest for life by eating smarter, sleeping better, and becoming more active.
- Manage the negative inner voices that constrain the life you desire.
- Become less rigid in your thinking and grow your self-confidence.
- Embrace the benefits of mindfulness to combat persistent pain’s obstacles.
- Handle stress, anxiety, and low mood to develop a life of increased independence and fulfilment.
About the author. Dr Nicola Sherlock has spent 20 years working in a pain service in the NHS, and has worked with thousands of patients who have shared their stories. Using these accounts and applied research from pain management studies, Nicola has helped many people to manage their pain and live better lives. In this book, Nicola shares her knowledge and expertise with compassion and understanding so that readers can master their pain and live better, more fulfilled lives.